Monday, May 31, 2010

My First Mother's Day

Yes, this is a bit late. I'm a little behind on uploading pictures, but I wanted to share that Josh made my first official Mother's Day extra special. I've grown to actually really dislike this holiday. After all, I spent the last 4 years hoping that the following year I would be celebrating with a pregnancy or a baby in my arms. With each year that passed, the holiday became harder and harder.

We happened to be in Sanibel Island for Jeff and Laura's wedding, but Josh thought ahead and still made the day extra special for me. We had a really nice breakfast and ended up spending the entire day on the beach (that's the day I got fried and my legs/ankles swelled so bad!) followed by dinner out with Jeff, Laura and Laura's friend, Jennie.

Josh had stopped by my favorite spot to get massages before we left for the trip and he surprised me with a prenatal massage. I haven't used it yet, but I'm so looking forward to it!! We also stopped by the outlet mall on the way to the island and he got me a Coach diaper bag. We went back and forth and couldn't decide which one to get, but finally settled on this blue and cream one. It is a coated canvas so it should hold up really well. We decided that it was too good of a deal to pass up and that if we find something else later on, Coach has a really relaxed return policy. Yes, it's blue. That's okay with me whether it's a girl or a boy because I love the color! If we have a girl, her room is likely going to be done in a light blue tone anyway, so it'll be perfect. I guess we'll find out if that will be an issue this Thursday!!

I felt so blessed to have Josh for this first Mother's Day. I know I got so lucky to have a husband as attentive and appreciative as he is. But the day was definitely bitter-sweet for me. First, I still get sad over the loss of Mya. I'm grateful for this growing baby that we have, but it was still a sad reminder of what we had lost. And most of all, I was so heartbroken thinking of my many many friends, both in real life and through my infertility community, who are still waiting and praying with empty arms. I remember how difficult Mother's Day was for me and I couldn't get those women out of my head.

Nonetheless, it was a great way to celebrate. I am looking forward to Josh's first Father's Day!!