Sunday, September 21, 2008

the san francisco treat, day 1

I had to go to California for work and we realized it would be around our anniversary, so we arranged for Josh to go with me for a few days. First up was San Francisco and I didn't have to work until Monday, so we headed out 2 days early so that we could be tourists for a bit. We packed so much into 2 days and had a serious blast! I looooved SF. Way more than Southern California. Day 1 was spent walking (and I do mean WALKING) alll over the city. Oh, the hills we endured!! Here are some pictures of our first day in the city:


Love in Union Square We walked (and walked, and walked) to Pier 39. Along the way, we saw a lot of the city and grabbed lunch at a local cafe. We loved the sea lions and both thought they sounded like Lukey. That made us miss our little guy.

Then we boarded the ferry to Alcatraz Island. Here's a view of the Golden Gate Bridge from the ferry.
The island from the ferry. There were so many sailboats and speedboats and every other sort of boats out that day. It was gorgeous!

Inside the prison
Behind bars
Josh in solitary confinement!! Spooky! (It's lit up because of the flash.)
Got a dark one
Me being creeped out inside the solitary confinement cell. Is there an orb around me?!?!?
Views from the island

Me visiting Josh through the glassThis is one of the cells of an escapee. You can see the vent that he escaped through still uncovered and the head was recreated for America's Most Wanted but the room is set up like it was at the time of their escape. I loved every second of Alcatraz. It's crazy to stand in a place and think about what happened there many years ago. The audio tour was great and seeing the cafeteria, prison grounds, warden's house, etc. was fascinating.Then we walked some more. This hill doesn't look that steep, but let me tell you, it WAS!! Talk about working those glutes!Here's another view of one of the roadsAnd here are some pictures of Lombard Street, the crookedest street in America. We did not drive down it but we did walk down it and I was cringing just waiting for someone's brakes to go out.After that, we decided to take a cable car. You can't NOT ride a cable car! Plus, I was singing the San Francisco treat song allll day (just ask Josh how annoyed he was), so it was a must-do.We got a good spot right on the back. I wanted to do the side steps, but I was pretty scared just being on the back. I kept thinking Josh was going to fall off the back. So this was a good spot where we got to be outside but were still somewhat protected from falling off of the dangerous 3MPH speeding trolley!I could play once it was stopped!

I can't tell you how much fun we had! After this, we went back to the hotel room and tried to go down to the sauna, only to find out that the men's and women's were separate. So we tried to do the whirlpool, only to find out that it was closed for construction. So we went back and ordered take out and had the *best* chinese food ever. I may have to go back to SF just for Fu War!

We jammed everything we possibly could into 2 days. Soon, I will post pictures from the rest of our trip.