Sunday, March 09, 2008

channeling grandma ma

As most people know, my great grandmother was Mexican. We called her Grandma Ma. You would have never met a sweeter and more wonderful person. She was so lively and danced around with her castanets singing songs and being silly. And her house was filled with nic nacs. But the reason that we loved going to Grandma Ma's was for the TACOS!!!

She made and pressed her own taco shells and they were the most delicious things ever. But sadly, only my cousin Robin learned the art of making Grandma Ma's tacos. So we've been talking on and on about how we need to have taco night, and we had to miss the last one, so we were finally able to make it last Sunday and it was WORTH the wait, let me tell you! Robin and Tracey (our cousins) spent all morning getting things ready, making the taco shells and getting the rice and frijoles ready!! Even the frijoles were just like Grandma Ma's. Here are some pictures:
Here is Robin frying up the taco shells.
Shell waiting to eat. We even had Tang in a Sprite bottle, just like Grandma Ma used to do. I don't think I'd had tang since the last time I was at her house.
TACOS. They are seriously the best tacos you'll ever try.
Linc wasn't waiting on the other kids. He was a hungry boy! We didn't blame him...
Here's Tracey with all the food. Thanks Rob & Tray!!! I forgot to take pictures of everybody eating because I was way too busy stuffing my face. Yes, you can bet that every single taco was gone and we had to make more. It's tradition...you can't eat just two or three of these things!