Wednesday, January 07, 2009

christina cooks

We all know that Christina doesn't cook. Josh is the cook in our family. But he loves it and he's good at it, so why take that away, right!?! That's my philosophy. If it's not broke, don't fix it! But I do get an itch to get in the kitchen once in a while. Especially if there's a recipe that I think I can actually do without having to end up making a frozen pizza after I royally screw it up!

That leads to my newest discovery, The Pioneer Woman Cooks. It is the MOST amazing site!! The best part: PICTURES!! She does a step-by-step picture so that you know exactly how something is supposed to look, which tends to be a tough thing for me. I'm very by-the-book. Josh throws a little of this, a dash of that, does a twirl and voila! it's a masterpiece! (Seriously, he does the twirl...you should see it!) Okay, maybe not. But you get the point...he's very much into putting things together and tweaking recipes for his own. Me? Not so much. If it calls for a pinch of salt, I need to figure out exactly what that means...is it my pinch, or Josh's pinch?...is it a big pinch or a small pinch? So the pictures really help on PW. Plus, it means that I don't have to call Josh into the kitchen every 5 minutes for advice. The other thing is that it makes the recipes seem completely possible for me to do. There are a few that might be out of my skill level, but for the most part, I feel like I can pull this site up and do any of it!
So Josh loves bread pudding. (Ick.) I saw a recipe called "Bread Pudding, For Those Who Don't Think They Like Bread Pudding" and had to give it a try for J. We had some bread left over from our fondue on NYE and he mentioned that he needed to use it up, so I thought it'd be a good use for it. I have to say, it actually turned out really good! And it was beautiful...wish I had taken a picture! The only problem was that the bread wasn't light and fluffy anymore, so it didn't soak up the liquid like it would have had it been a fresh loaf of sourdough. But I was so excited to make something for Josh that he loves and doesn't get to eat too often. And then when it was actually edible, I was pretty pumped! I did the Whiskey Cream Sauce, too, which was okay...very whiskey-ey if you like that.

Anyway, my next venture is going to be the Cinnamon Rolls...omg....yUUUuuMmmmMMM!!
Watch out, Betty Crocker!